Turn your Summerhouse into a movie theatre
12 February 2019| News| Andrea Wuestman
Have you always dreamed of watching every movie like being in the cinema? Just build your own cinema in your summerhouse and enjoy pleasant evenings with friends and family! In times of streaming platforms like Netflix and co. there is the possibility to watch movies of any kind at home. In theory, you don’t have to leave the house for entertainment. Your own living room however quickly becomes too cramped or the couch simply doesn’t have the same flair as a cinema hall. Exactly for these reasons, a cinema in your own garden might be the right choice; the path is short, the ambiance can be designed by yourself and also the size can be variable according to your personal feelings.
First Steps – Planning
If you decide to set up your own home cinema, you should first think about what your ideas are. Do you want to invite a lot of people or do you just want a place that offers atmosphere for your own family? Regarding your basic ideas, you should think about the measurements of your summerhouse. When planning your new garden house, you should take your wishes into account. If you already own a summerhouse and would like to convert it, you should adapt your wishes to the size of your summerhouse, so that your conversion will be crowned with success.
A rectangular shape is a good choice for a home theater. With other forms the acoustics are limited and it is clearly more difficult to furnish the room.
Insulation and heating of your log house
If you decide to convert your garden house into a home cinema, your idea is in most cases based on the fact that there should be a year-round opportunity to spend evenings comfortably watching films or series. After all, no one wants to spend the onset of winter dismantling technical equipment and storing it indoors to protect it from the cold.
If an all-season possibility should correspond to your desire, then it is important to consider heating possibilities and insulation. If you choose a new summerhouse, you have the possibility of providing it immediately with insulation, which is installed by a specialist. If you already have a non-insulated summerhouse, you can insulate it afterwards to make it weatherproof and suitable for work. Technically, you can insulate your summerhouse yourself. However, if you don’t have the knowledge and experience, we recommend that you leave it to the professionals, as incorrect insulation can cause major problems.
There are three types of insulation: roof insulation, wall insulation and floor insulation. We recommend to combine all three types of insulation; after all, a cinema should be cozy and warm, right?
The roof insulation prevents heat from escaping through the roof from your summerhouse and also protects you from rain and other moisture seeping through the roof. The floor insulation ensures that your feet are always warm, even in winter. We consider this type of insulation as most necessary for your cinema. It is essentially an additional inner wall that protects against heat loss and moisture and improves sound insulation. This ensures that no one will complain about the volume.
If you live in a colder region, the insulation alone is not sufficient enough as it only protects against heat loss. However, the heat must be generated by something. Otherwise, the inside of your log cabin is only slightly warmer than the outside temperature. For a comfortable temperature, you also need to install a heater in your log house. There are many ways to do this, the best known is probably an electric heater or a radiator, but you can also choose from a variety of other options, such as wood burners, infrared radiators, portable gas radiators or even a fireplace! Simply choose the option that suits you best, both in terms of space and cost.
Setting up your home theater
Finally, we come to the correct setup of your home cinema. Let’s list what it takes:
- Internet connection: When using streaming platforms, you need internet. A repeater just for the summerhouse is recommended. [no desire for Internet? a DVD or bluerayplayer can be your alternative]
- Screen: For a larger home cinema a beamer device is suitable. Here a large picture is guaranteed without having to buy a giant television set, outside the normal dimensions. For a smaller home cinema also the standard sizes of televisions are sufficient. However, it is recommended to choose one of the largest models: a large screen enhances the exclusive cinematic experience.
- Speakers: For the perfect cinema feeling, you can choose 5.1 / 7.1 surround sound.
- Receiver: Even with the best speakers, you shouldn’t save on this point. With the right AV receiver, it is possible to configure the sound exactly according to your wishes.
- Seating possibilities: Here there are several possibilities. On the one hand, it is of course possible to place a sofa in your summerhouse. For the absolute cinema feeling, however, many want real cinema chairs. On eBay and similar platforms, discarded cinema chairs or entire rows of chairs are sold from time to time. So if you want cinema chairs, keep your eyes open.
Now nothing stands in the way of a cozy cinema evening with friends and family.
Do you feel like having your own home cinema in your own garden? Do you only need the right summerhouse for your needs or do you want to adapt the existing one? Take a look at our range of summerhouses and log cabins, design your own summerhouse or contact us.
We will find the right one for you!