Summer house planning permission
You would like to build a summer house, so that you can store bicycles and garden tools in it, or just to relax? No matter what you wish for: a summer house meets all your wishes. But do you need a summerhouse planning permission? And what are the consequences if you are going to build a summer house without a planning permission, even though you do need one? There is good news: In most cases you do not need a planning permission, but it is useful if you know what rules there are for a summer house planning permit.
When do you need a summer house planning permission?
Whether you need a permit depends on different aspects of your summerhouse. Most rules if you want to build a summer house without a planning permission are about its location and size. You don’t want do get an extra summer house planning permission? Then your summer house must meet the following conditions:
- When your summer house is placed less than 2.0m from the boundary of your property à maximum overall height of no more than 2.5m
- When your summer house is placed more than 2.0m from the boundary of your property à 2.5m eave height + 4.0 m maximum overall size for an apex roof and 3.0m for a pent roof
- The building is not to be used as self-contained living accommodation or have an antenna.
- No more than 50% of the area of land around the original house should be taken up by garden buildings or other buildings.
- A summer house may not be placed closer to a road or public highway than the main house itself.
- The summer house has only 1 story
NOTE: This is an introductory guide and is not a definitive source of legal information. Do you want to be sure that you can install your garden house without a planning permission? Contact your local planning authority.
Consequences of building without a permission
When you are building your summer house without a summer house planning permission, failure to comply with the rules will mean you’re committing a planning breach – which isn’t good! In the worst-case scenario, you’ll be given an enforcement notice to sort out the issues, which can sometimes mean taking down the whole of the building completely.
Your summer house without planning permission
Are you still searching for a summer house? At Lugarde we have a lot of models that won’t require a summer house building permission. We have more than 40 years of experience with building wooden constructions such as summer houses, gazebos, summer houses and log cabins. Our dealers will be happy to help you select the perfect construction. Or immediately start designing the garden room of your dreams with our 3D-Configurator.